The adjective ‘smart’ has become such an important (and nevertheless, common) part of the technology ecosystem that the need to append the adjective is a mere formality. In an age, where we consume mostly from streaming platforms like Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and HotStar, it only seems obvious to invest in a smart television platform versus a traditional TV. If you are looking forward to making that transition, we’re here to help you with a list of our best smart TVs that made the cut for us.
Integrated into the platform, as of 2020, we have five major players in the market: Android TV, Roku, Tizen, WebOS and Smartcast in terms of the operating system. They translate your television to function as a multimedia device. Some smaller brands use other proprietary or lesser-known operating systems as well. However, since operating systems will depend on updates, we suggest you buy the TVs only with an established operating system. A good (operating system) OS in a smart TV is not also easy to navigate but also enhance the viewing experience to an optimal level.
Best Smart TV in India 2020
Whether you are someone who is setting up a new home or simply wants to upgrade their smart ecosystem, this list is a comprehensive guide of the best smart TVs in the Indian market. While not all of them are 2020 launches, some of them performed too well on our scale to not include them in our list.
If you are here looking for options, then let’s just dive right into our list of top smart TVs in the Indian market right away. Also, you can check our list of the best TV in India (with 4 new smart TV models for 2020).
Overview of Content
LG 55UK6360PTE 4K LED Smart TV
Equipped with thinQ technology, this LG release packs a punch with WebOS. The universal remote eliminates the need for multiple remotes and allows the viewer to control everything wirelessly. The in-built Google assistant is a handy feature that allows you to access your favourite streaming platforms effectively.
LG uses its own Content Store to download the applications on this series. While the collection of applications is not huge but the performance pretty much makes up for it. WebOS, though slightly primitive continues to provide stability with frequent updates and zero crashes. If you are a first-time smart TV user, then the detailed troubleshooting tutorials in the user guide section of this television is a big plus. Who wants to call up a technician every time a small technical glitch crops up anyway?
However, the speaker and the voice-enabled Google assistant performance is not at par with the performance of the TV. Nevertheless, if you’re looking for the first time smart TV upgrade, this one is a pretty good choice.
Sony Bravia KLV-43W662F Full HD Smart TV
- Screen sizes: 43- 50 inches (108- 126 centimeters)
- Operating System: Linux
- Live Colour™ Technology paired with X-Reality™ PRO
- Multiple HDR formats including HDR10 and Hybrid Log-Gamma
- HDR gaming available with PlayStation
Sony Bravia needs no introduction. The brand name itself has established a stronghold on the Indian market with its impeccable brightness, clarity, and HD performance. If taking the leap to 4K seems a tad bit too daunting, then here’s a smart TV that fits your budget and your expectations. Available in two screen sizes, Sony Bravia 43W662F provides full HD in 1920*1080 resolution.
However, what stands out in this particular model is the High Dynamic Range (HDR) playback in HDR10 and HLG formats. While it would be unreasonable to expect explosive contrast, but the range of brightness is a big plus. If you’re all game for hosting your friends over for a football match, then this one is a snug fit. The X-reality PRO feature upscales standard pictures to high-quality HD effectively and seamlessly. The Motionflow XR system does a fantastic job of reducing blur and inducing clarity in the system. With no hiccups and a tight budget, this smart TV is a good deal.
LG 43UK6780PTE 4K LED Smart TV
- Screen sizes: 43-inch (108 centimeters)
- Operating System: WebOS
- AI THINQ TV with built-in Google Assistant
- India s First 4K Jazz Smart Ultra HD LED TV
- Wireless connectivity to surrounding devices and all-in-one magic remote
Launched in 2018 alongside 6360PTE, LG 6780PTE is yet another 4K smart model with an impressive set of features with the screen performance and the magic remote like a cherry on top of a cake.
While it is easy to get confused between the two because of the features and the same look and feel, this one has quite an edge. The frame is a sturdy plastic with the same magic remote enabling easy accessibility. And it’s for the audiophiles out there. This one has a 35w sound output with built-in subwoofers. It negates the need for an external sound system or other home theatre tethering devices. If you are someone who is constantly moving between cities and are looking for an all-in-one solution, this one fits the bill for you.
Samsung UA55NU6100 4K LED Smart TV
- Screen sizes: 43- 55 inches (108- 138 centimeters)
- Operating System: Tizen
- Powered with Unbox 6 features, specific to this flagship of Samsung smart TVs
- Quad-core processor with built-in wi-fi and speakers
- 2 HDMI ports and one USB port
Released on March 2019, NU6100 is Samsung’s entry in the affordable 4K smart TV market. The Unbox 6 features is a big add on for a complete entertainment approach. Here are some of the components:
- Real 4K: Sharp images with all details intact
- Live Cast: Content streaming facilities from any of your smart devices
- 60K+UHD Titles: Unlimited entertainment content supported with UHD
- Lag-free Gaming: HD quality graphics for an immersive gaming experience
- Tune Station: Converts your smart TV unit to a music system
- Screen Mirroring: Synchronise your smart devices with the cloud and start working on your unfinished file from the comfort of your home
The screen mirroring feature is what sets this one apart from the rest of the smart TVs on this list. A couple of clicks and all your important files are available on your TV via Samsung Cloud and the SmartThings application enable you to share your content across multiple platforms. In a nutshell, it is a convenience redefined.
Best Budget Smart TV in India
We know that costly TV means high durability and features. However, not everyone can afford a premium smart TV. Also, it is not always fair to say that a budget TV can’t be better than a premium TV. As you know, big brands like Samsung, LG invest a lot of money on advertising their newly launched TV and that investment is always going to sum up with the product M.R.P. So, for a big brand, the actual value of a product is always 30% lower than its labeled value.
On the other hand, few manufacturers don’t advertise their TV which means you can buy a great pair of hardware at a low competitive price. Brands like Kodak, Mi, TLC, Kevin, Sanyo are doing pretty good at this. So, here are some best budget smart TV that you can buy right now.
Kevin KN40S Full HD LED Smart TV
- Offer a 40 inch large screen at a cheap price
- 3 HDMI ports and 2 USB port support simultaneously
- Connect, share or cast across any Android device on the go
- Built-in WiFi connectivity with Web Touch Remote and no Bluetooth
- Advertised contrast ratio: 400000:1
KN40S is a smart television by Kevin which is very popular and highly rated smart TV on Amazon India right now. The TV is using a standard LED panel that supports HDRR for better contrast. Due to the LED technology, you get to see the TV from a wide-angle range of around 178° (horizontally).
Because it’s a smart TV, it is built on top of Android which is a very native OS nowadays. As the TV supports various applications like Netflix, Youtube etc, a Mali-400MP2 (4 cores) chipset is used to make the process smoother. The TV is an extremely good choice for a dark room and not recommended for a brighter room.
VU UltraSmart Full HD TV (2019 Model)
- Available in different screen sizes of 32, 40, 49 inches
- Operating System: Linux
- Vu OS, VOD Upscaler Technology with Digital Signal Processor
- Licensed applications like Netflix, YouTube and Prime Video on the remote
- Vu AnyView Cast for Screen Sharing from Smartphone
- High Bright panel + Sports Mode + Adaptive Contrast + Digital MPEG Noise Reduction
VU Ultrasmart Full HD TV is a pocket-friendly smart TV if you want to get a smart entertainment unit installed without breaking your bank. Equipped with Digital MPEG Noise Cancellation feature, the display is crisp, sharp and clear. The TV comes with an array of pre-installed apps including Indian streaming content platforms such as Zee 5, ErosNow and Hungama. The biggest plus is perhaps how the features translate into real-time audio and video performance in a middle-sized room. The thick bezels are not an attractive site but with the price point and the features bundle, there is little room for complaints.
Top Consumers Question
Why would you need a Smart TV?
Just like your smartphone, a Smart TV is a future of entertainment. It is designed to provide a much smoother and personalized experience to the viewers. On the other hand, Smart TV has better connectivity options that can connect with most of the devices like Gaming consoles, Blu Ray disk players and laptops. So, here is a breakdown of features that a Smart TV offers.
- Wireless connectivity makes thing much easier
- Allows screening with other devices nearby
- Remote controls are omnidirectional as it works over Bluetooth
- Gets periodic software updates to add the latest features
- Enjoy more frames per seconds with a range up to 120 FPS
- No boring cable TV telecast, watch your favorite movies, web series on Netflix, Youtube, Hotstar, etc
Which Smart TV is better HD Ready, Full HD or 4K?
- HD Ready: Due to the lower native resolution (1280 x 720 px), HD Ready TV is not a good choice as a smart TV. The reason why I am saying this because nowadays most of the streaming service apps like Youtube, Netflix, Prime TV, Hotstar, Jio TV, etc has their content on FULL HD resolution. So you don’t get to enjoy the original quality of the motion picture. Also, some HD ready TV with 32-inch screen size can’t even play higher resolution format which is a shame for a smart TV.
- Full HD: It is the widely popular choice of consumers and I must say that it is indeed a smart choice too. Unless your screen size is above 43 inches, Full HD screen resolution (1920 x 1080 px) will do the job for you. You can stream high-definition content, your screen looks gorgeous with absolutely no pixelated content that human eye can see easily. So, yes, Full HD smart TV is a recommended buy.
- 4K UHD: If you can afford a high price tag and have an extremely fast internet connection, 4K is the best choice. In addition to this, 4K smart TV comes with a feature called Upscaling. Upscaling can improve the quality of lower resolution to match the scale of native 4K resolution. In other words, you can watch 480p, 720p or 1080p resolution movies in your 4K smart TV without seeing any pixelated images. The only drawback of buying 4K TV is that currently, 4K content is very limited and also DTH also have a few 4K channels like Star Sports 4K.
Can I connect mobile to smart TV?
Yes, you can. All you need to cast your mobile screen to your smart TV using Miracast or Screen Mirroring. After that, the TV will replicate your mobile screen on a much larger scale. Some TV has inbuild Chromecast which is Android-powered hardware by Google.
How to watch Jio tv on a smart TV?
Yes, for sure you can watch. As I mentioned above, you can watch Jio TV on Smart TV using Chromecast or Miracast method.